This post contains affiliate links.
I used to think yogurt was just a trendy little cup of fruit and pudding looking stuff to eat because everyone else was eating it.
Then I started reading the label and found out those fruit and yogurt cups were filled with SUGAR! They weren’t really healthy and good for us to eat, I might as well eat the chocolate pudding.
BUT if you use the low-fat unflavored yogurt in place of sour cream, well that’s a different story.
Let me share two recipes that I have swapped out yogurt for sour cream and you can’t really notice any difference.
- 5 Tablespoons dried minced onions
- 7 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 4 teaspoons salt (I No Salt)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
The recipe is to mix 2 Tablespoons of the mix with 1 cup of mayonnaise and 1 cup of sour cream or buttermilk. I have found that buttermilk makes it too thin (and who wants all that fat from buttermilk?) and 1 cup of mayo is just too much mayo (I really don’t like mayo that much).
So here is what I have done.
- 2 Tablespoons dry homemade Ranch mix
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayo
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup no-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk made into buttermilk*
*add 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk and let it sit for 5 minutes. Use instead of buttermilk. (I prefer apple cider vinegar.)
After thoroughly mixing, place in a Mason jar and store in the refrigerator. Serve on anything you would eat Ranch dressing with (down South that would be pretty much everything.)
Another quick weeknight dish we make sometimes is Easy Stroganoff. It can be made by the kids when you’re running late.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can low-fat cream of mushroom soup
- 16 ounces low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 small can mushrooms
- 1 box whole grain pasta (we use bowties)
- Cook the pasta in salty water by package directions.
- Brown the ground beef and drain the fat.
- Add to the browned ground beef the low-fat cream of mushroom soup, low-fat yogurt, mushroom, and milk.
- Heat everything through.
- When the pasta is done, add it to the mixture.
- Serve with a salad with the Ranch dressing from above and dinner is ready.
How much easier can dinner get? If you use a big enough skillet just put it in the middle of the table, we do.
- low-fat plain yogurt
- canned mushrooms
- apple cider vinegar
- ground beef
- dried minced onions
- dried parsley
- garlic powder
- cream of mushroom soup
Let us know here at Moments With Myra how you like these recipes. They are super easy and can be on the table in under 30 minutes any night of the week.
Please subscribe to our weekly newsletter in the sidebar so you won’t miss any of the recipes or other posts. Your email will never be sold to a third party.
Tomorrow, ‘Z’, the final recipe in our A-Z series.